Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Sample Society July 2012 Box

I received my Sample Society box for July along with my Julep Add On colors in the mail yesterday.

If you're unfamiliar with Sample Society, it's a $15 a month subscription service from Allure and Beauty Bar.com. They specialize in "higher end" cosmetics and skincare, and the sample sizes are deluxe instead of the standard ones.

This month wasn't bad, but I am not as excited by the products as I am for my other subscriptions.

 As you can see in the photo [click on them to view full size!], there are 5 products in this months box.
From the top and then left to right are:
 -Vincent Longo Duo Lip Pencil in Lavender Lite and Grape ($26)
- Borghese Tono Body Creme (1 oz/ 7 oz $47.50)  - Jouer Cosmetics Luminizing Moisture Tint SPF 20 in Pearl (.17 fl oz/ $38)
 - vbeaute Eye Never Nourishing Repair Eye Cream (.033 fl oz/ .5 fl oz $85)
 -Sisley-Paris Hydra-Global Intense Anti-Aging Hydration (.14 oz/ 1.4 oz $250) 




The topmost product, which is most likely hard to see is the Vincent Longo Lip Pencil. I got mine in the color Lavender Lite and Grape. It's double sided, which each name being a color, respectively.
The retail price for this is $27, so it alone is more than the box is worth, but I personally would never pay that much for this since it's just a lip pencil, and it's in purples, which I don't generally wear.

The lavender is almost a dusky nude with purple undertones and then the grape color is like a purpley wine.

Unfortunately, as you can see on my super pale skintone, these are not flattering colors unless I want to look like a drowning victim, or someone punched me in the mouth. I can't even use them as eyeshadow colors either because then I'll just look like a zombie. I guess I can keep these around for halloween!
I would have much rather have had the white one that other people received and apparently don't like! Maybe someone will want to trade with me.
But the consistency is really nice! It's super creamy, easy to use and it didn't pull on my skin at all, and it's not a dry formula.
It feels very luxe and moisturizing. 


Next, in the orange tube is Borghese Tono Body Cream. The size is 1 oz, and it's a pretty large sized sample tube. I put a little bit of the lotion on my hand, and it smells really odd to me. It has a definite mint smell with an underlying floral. The consistency is nice, it rubs in easily and isn't sticky or greasy. However, I probably would not purchase this due to the odd scent. I don't really like mint scented body products other than shampoo. The only exception to this is the Peppermint Twist line from Bath and Body works. Again, like the product and the consistency but the scent doesn't really work for me so much. Another trivial thing that bothers me is that there is no ingredient list included on this lotion, so I can't even see what oils are in it to create the scent it is. I'll have to look that up online. The tube was also not safety sealed with the little foil cover over the lotion dispenser. Again, a small thing, but I prefer to have it.


The third product that I swatched for you all is the Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint.
Tinted moisturizers are pretty much everywhere now after the explosion of them last year.
This has SPF 20 in it, which I like. The formula was really easy to blend into my skin, and as you can see, Pearl is a pretty good match for a luminizer. If I were to get this for an actual tinted moisturizer, I'd probably go up a shade, since i generally mix my tinted moisturizer with more sunblock because I like to put at least a quarter sized amount of sunblock just on my face.

The product rubbed in really easily without being cakey or too watery like some other brands I have tried. The color is a really pretty pearl color, exactly like the name implies.
It's white, but a warm white with a pretty light diffusing effect to it.
This would make a great eyeshadow or cheek highlighter.

I'm not sure if I would actually pay the $38 for one tube though. But this seems much nicer than my Estee Lauder BB Cream that was around the same price point, and the coloring is much prettier on this.

This is probably my favorite product in the box this month.




Lastly we have the Vbeaute eyecream, and the Sisley Hydrating Intense Anti Age.

I feel like I have soooo many eyecreams and anti aging things to use! It's hard. I'm still using the eyepen I received in the April Sample Society box, so I'll hopefully get to use these. I've been trying to use up things to be able to post reviews on them.

All in all this box was alright. It's not my favorite, just because the items are not super exciting to me, but it's not terrible either. Even when they have kind of meh products, I feel like they're still really high quality and the only reason I may not like a product is the color or the scent, which are all personal preference.

This box is kind of pricey though, so unfortunately I might have to cancel soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment