Thursday, March 3, 2011

I'll post photos of the book when I can. But yesterday, I found my beloved kids cookbook.
I remember when my mom used to take me to get books.
We both love reading, so it was always a huge treat to get to go get new ones.

( I found a link where you can at least see the cover) http://openlibrary.org/books/OL24211729M/The_kid%27s_cookbook

I was probably 5 or 6 years old, and decided I wanted a cookbook. I ended up picking out "The Kids Cookbook" by Nitty Gritty books. It's written by two teachers [who are probably retired by now!], and was originally published in 1972. The copy I ended up with is the 12th printing, made in the 80s.

I love it because it has everything from scrambled eggs to lamb! The instructions are simple, and there are real crayon drawings from kids in the book, which I adore. The recipes also all are handwritten, so it looks like a cookbook that someones family made.

It's one of the few cookbooks where not having photos of the food does not bother me, because there is so much else to make up for it!

I used to page through it and imagine cooking things. Some of my childhood favorites came from that book, such as the cinnamon sugar toast that I used to make at my friends house in their toaster oven, or the english muffin pizzas.

There are enough recipes in the book to keep it interesting, but none of the stuff is weird. They also don't overly rely on processed foods, nor do they ban them. It's a good balance. There are recipes ranging from super super easy to somewhat challenging, and I really like that.

It's rare to find a kids cookbook that is fun, without being too cutesy or talking down to kids, and challenging without being adult level frustrating!

If you can find a copy of this book, I highly recommend it. Sadly, it's out of print, but I definitely treasure my copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment