Monday, June 11, 2012

MyGlam for June

I was extremely confused when my MyGlam shipping notice arrived in my inbox, because the thing is, I lost my CC and I was waffling on cancelling MyGlam since it just hasn't been a good fit for me. I don't like the makeup bags they send, they just all seem extremely cheap to me, and since that's a token freebie in the beauty world, I have lots of them from GWP's and the like.

The products are usually alright, nothing has been terrible, but nothing has been outright super amazing to me either. I feel like pretty much everything I've liked so far, were things on my radar to try out, and it would have been cheaper to just try them outright instead of through this service.

Part of me is torn, because the CS team has been nothing but so so nice whenever there was a problem. They reinstated my sub through a special link when the website glitched out. So part of me feels like I owe it to them to give them a longer chance and stick with it a couple more months. Which is probably what I'll end up doing because I just really like to give things a fair chance.

 For those of you who do not know what MyGlam is, it's a monthly subscription service! It's $10 a month, or they have annual subscriptions available as well. I'm not sure if there is a waitlist right now or not, but there was when I originally signed up 4 months ago. The bags come in a super cute pink bubble mailer that I love. Also, shipping is SUPER FAST. Without fail, they will send out at least a week after Birchbox does, and still get to me at least 2 or 3 days before Birchbox arrives. Fast shipping! The packaging is always cute too. I love those pink mailers!


 Inside the mailer is a cosmetic bag containing the goodies. Every month has a theme and this months theme is All Night, so the bag is a glittery gold one.

Also included in the mailer are cards explaining various products, and a card with the theme on it.

(Note, click on my photos to view any of them full sized!)



 Okay next we have the contents!

From left to right we have:
1. "Living Proof" No Frizz nourishing style cream. The size sent is  2 fl oz. $15 retail.

2. Philosophies newest moisturizer, Take a deep Breath. The tube sent is their standard sample size of .4 fl oz. ~$8  (2oz retails for $34)

3. a NYX round lipstick in the color Vitamin!
I'm actually really happy I got this color and not some of the other darker ones. $4.00 retail.

4. Lastly is a Marbella Semi-Permanent liquid felt tipped eyeliner pen in Black. $25 retail.

Total value: Around $52.

That said, the "value" is kind of inflated a bit, since you can find the eyeliner pen on sale for $10, and the Philosophy sample was a freebie on their FB page today and I'm sure they'll include it as a GWP at some point.

All in all, I think everything is pretty good. This is their best bag so far that I have received. The lipstick is in a shade I can wear, the styling cream is something I will definitely use, I love Philosophy stuff, and the eyeliner pen will be useful for more dramatic looks.

That said, the fact that it's Semi-Permanent is a little scary to me! I don't use black eyeliner, so I am kind of bad at putting it on. The last thing I want is to have to walk around for days wearing the same exact eyeliner. But if you wear black eyeliner daily, this definitely could be a super useful product!
It really is permanent. I swatched it on my hand and there's still a faint black line where I drew. Also impressive to me is the complete lack of feathering and bleeding, even on my hand!

=

The lipstick color as you can see here, is a shimmery coral pink color that is really pretty.



Here's a swatch of it on my hand. My skintone is NW15 in M.A.C, Ivory/Fair.

The consistency is really nice. It's creamy and moisturizing and doesn't smell or feel waxy like most lipsticks.
I don't know if most companies have changed their formulas, but I swear when I was in high school all the lipsticks available were soooo waxy.
This feels like a lip balm almost because it's so easy to apply.

Here's a swatch on my lips. As you can see, it's almost a nude color.
I wasn't sure how well I liked it in the tube, but on I think it's pretty nice and definitely wearable.

Was this bag worth the $10?
I don't really know yet. I'm going to try out the other products and come back to let you know. To be honest, I feel like the standout item are the lipsticks, and they only retail for about $4.



What did you think of the MyGlam bag this june? Is it getting better?


No comments:

Post a Comment